Aromatherapy and the Chakras
Aromatherapy is the use of essential oils or aromatic plants that are being used into different health practices. The essential oils can be applied for massages, take a bath, vaporizing diffuser, bracelets diffuser, stem inhalation and more. Some of the benefits of using essential oils are that can help the chakras by restoring, balancing and bringing them harmony.
In traditional Hinduism, chakras are wheels of spinning energy located in various focal points of the body. In another words, chakras are concentration of vital force running through the body. Through history mystics have studied and worked the meaning and purpose of the chakras and with their spiritual practices have learned the importance of taking care of them. Providing balance, harmony and positivity to the chakras can help the body, mind and spirit. Also improves health and well-being.
Here is a list of the seven chakras and what essentials oils can be used to bring balance and well-being.
Muladhara chakra is responsible to meet basic survival and physical needs as: shelter, food, water, sleep, clothing and material comfort. Also governs survival, security, support, safety and stability.
- Location: The muladhara, base or root chakra is located at the base of the spine.
- Color: Its color is red.
- Shape: The root chakra has four petals will bring security and grounding.
- Essential oils: Myrrh and Patchouli will help to connect with nature and for grounding.
Svadhishthana is responsible about the sweetness, enjoyment of life, creation and feeling good. Also is governs by pleasure, desire, sexuality, sensuality and procreation.
- Location: Svadhishthana or sacral chakra is located in the lower abdomen and womb.
- Color: Its color is orange.
- Shape: The sacral chakra has six petals.
- Essential oils: Jasmine, Rose, Sandalwood, Sage, Ylang-Ylang and Ginger will bring pleasure and enjoyment.
(solar plexus chakra)
Manipura represents personal power, confidence, assertiveness and will.
- Location: Manipura or solar plexus chakra is located in the solar plexus, the area above the belly button.
- Color: Its color is yellow.
- Shape: The manipura chakra has ten petals.
- Essential oils: Juniper, Geranium will provide protection and balancing.
Anahata represents matter of love, romance, friendships and heart connection. Governs emotions, compassion, spiritual and divine love.
- Location: Anahata or heart chakra is located in the center of the chest.
- Color: Its color is green.
- Shape: The anahata chakra has twelve petals.
- Essential oils: Rose, Melissa, Ylang-Ylang will help to balance the emotional side.
Vishuddha represents speech, communication and creative expression.
- Location: Vishuddha or throat chakra is located in the throat.
- Color: Its color is blue.
- Shape: The vishuddha chakra has sixteen petals.
- Essential oils: Chamomile, Rosewood and Thyme will help to communicate easier and in a smother way.
(third eye chakra)
Ajna represents the true guru that lives inside you, liberated the spiritual teacher, helps to developed the spiritual awakening and illumination.
- Location: Ajna or third eye chakra is located between the brows, above the eyes and near the top of the spine.
- Color: Its color is indigo blue.
- Shape: The ajna chakra has two petals.
- Essensial oils: Rosemary, Basil, Juniper and Thyme will help to bring love and harmony.
Sahasrana represents enlightenment, full awareness, also helps for creativity and inspiration.
- Location: Sahasrara or crown chakra is located at the crown of the head.
- Color: its color is violet.
- Shape: The sahasrana chakra has thousand petals.
- Essensial oils: Lavender, Rosewood, Frankincense, Myrrh and Sandalwood are effective for spiritual growth and awakening.
This article resumes one of each of the chakras and what essential oils will activate them. The essential oil that you decide to use will help you to connect easier with the chakras.
You can place a couple drops of essential oil in your palm or your diffuser bracelet and smell it through meditation, before doing yoga, taking a walk through the park or on your daily routine. You can also use a diffuser and place a couple drop of the essential oil of your preference. The most important is to connect with your essence and be present.