Geranium is the great balancer of essential oils, due to it being an adrenal cortex stimulant, and it helps to regulate hormones and moods alike. One of the most useful essential oils to detoxify the lymphatic system and help eliminate cellulite, geranium is often included in lymphatic drainage massage blends. It also helps heal wounds quickly, and makes a good deodorant, both for personal hygiene and for freshening rooms. Overall, geranium is balancing, uplifting and refreshing.
Because geranium smells a little like rose, it is used in the perfume industry to "extend" rose. The lovely floral fragrance makes geranium a valuable skin-care essential oil, and it is helpful in balancing sebum production.
Geranium is especially good for menstrual problems as it balances the hormones. This qualities, means that geranium might be helpful in massage blends for those women who have difficulty becoming pregnant. It is also useful for those undergoing menopause.
Psychologically, geranium creates a sense of security and comfort, and is gently uplifting and balancing. It is reputed to strengthen the flow of subtle energy, or chi, and is one of the most valuable essential oils in treating anxiety associated with nervous debility. It is useful in mood perfumes to bring about a balanced harmony and to counteract excessive mood swings.
Use it for
- nourishing skin
- boosting hair health
- repelling insects
- calming anxiety
- enhancing circulation
Main therapeutic properties
- Bath: for a calming detoxifying bath, add 5 drops of geranium oil to a teaspoon of a carrier oil. Add blend to 3½ ounces (100g) of Epsom salt in a lidded jar and shake so the oil is evenly dispersed. Add the salt mixture to a warm bath.
- Hair care: strengthen your hair and add some luster with this geranium oil hot oil treatment. Mix 1 ounce (30g) melted, warm coconut oil with 8 drops of geranium. Massage into dry or damp hair from scalp to ends, then cover with a warm towel for 20 minutes to an hour. Wash as usual.
- Skincare: for a soothing face mask that can treat blemishes and brighten skin, add 2 drops of geranium to 1 tablespoon (15g) raw honey and 2 teaspoons (10g) of aloe vera gel. Apply with fingertips to a clean, dry face. Leave on for 15 minutes, then remove with warm water.
Contraindications: Geranium may irritate sensitive skin, so do a patch test before using. Do not use geranium while pregnant. Geranium may cause drowsiness.
- Scientific Name: Pelargonium gravolens
- Family: Geraniaceae
- Country of Origin: Morocco
- Net Content: 0.34 fl oz/10ml