Ylang ylang means "flower of flowers" in Malayan, and it is much used in the perfume industry for its voluptuous, exotic fragrance. One of its most important aromatherapy uses in in helping to reduce high blood pressure, especially if this is accompanied by heart palpitations. Ylang ylang also treats anxiety, agner, shock and fear, helping to slow over-rapid breathing and reducing the "fight-or-flight" syndrome. Overall, it is soothing, erotic, and euphoric.
In skin care, ylang ylang is valued for its pleasing fragrance and is especially suited to oily skin. Traditionally, the flower are macerated in coconut oil and used as a hair dressing, and it makes a good addition to base shampoo and conditioner. When used in a massage oil, ylang ylang can help to treat frigidity and impotence. In a mood perfume, its sweet voluptuous and erotic fragrance can help to release inhibitions and bring out fiery passion. Ylang ylang is particularly suited to women, and helps them find their inner femininity, confidence and sensuality.
Use only small amounts of ylang ylang and not for long periods of time, otherwise the perfume can become sickly and heavy, and may cause headaches and nausea. Blending it with lemon, bergamot and other fresh-smelling essential oil lightens the fragrance, and this is strongly recommended. Ylang ylang is good in an evening bath to promote relaxation and aid sleep. It is also valuable in treating depression, especially when there is a lot of nervous tension. It is one of the best essential oils to use with meditation to counteract anger.
Psychologically, ylang ylang calms, uplifts, creates a sense of peace and aids self-expression of repressed inner feelings.
Use it for
- increasing relaxation
- decreasing blood pressure
- easing depression
- treating dry skin
- soothing skin irritation
Main therapeutic properties
- Diffusion: diffuse ylang ylang in the home to create a calm environment.
- Fragrance: for a floral scent that can uplift your mood throughout the day, place 1 drop of ylang ylang on the inside of each wrist.
- Skincare: to treat oily, combination, or acne-prone skin, place a single-use amount of your nightly moisturizer in your palm and add 1 drop of ylang ylang before applying in to your face.
Contraindications: Ylang Ylang may cause drowsiness. It may irritate sensitive skin, so do a patch test before using.
- Scientific Name: Cananga odorata
- Family: Amonaceae
- Country of Origin: Madagascar
- Net Content: 0.34 fl oz/10ml